Try Mary Berry’s chocolate cake recipe for a delicious and moist chocolate sponge cake with creamy chocolate icing. This recipe is simple and easy-to-follow, serving 6 people and taking only 50 mins to prepare and bake. Mary Berry’s chocolate cake is perfect served with a drizzle of fresh cream. Store in an airtight container or cake tin for up to 2 days. If you have any cake left after 2 days (unlikely!), warm a slice in the microwave for about 10 seconds and serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Ingredients
For the chocolate cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6 oz)caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) softened butter
- 1½ level tsp baking powder
- 40g (1½ oz) cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- A little icing sugar, to serve
For the chocolate spreading/ganache icing:
- 150ml (5fl oz) double cream
- 150g (5oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
You’ll also need:
- 2 x 17cm (7 in) deep sandwich tins, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter and baking powder until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the cocoa in separate mixing bowl, and add the water a little at a time to make a stiff paste. Add to the cake mixture.
- Turn into the prepared tins, level the top and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 mins, or until shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn on to a wire rack to become completely cold before icing.
- To make the icing: measure the cream and chocolate into a bowl and carefully melt over a pan of hot water over a low heat, or gently in the microwave for 1 min (600w microwave). Stir until melted, then set aside to cool a little and to thicken up.
- To ice the cake: spread the apricot jam on the top of each cake. Spread half of the ganache icing on the top of the jam on one of the cakes, then lay the other cake on top, sandwiching them together.
- Use the remaining ganache icing to ice the top of the cake in a swirl pattern. Dust with icing sugar to serve.